What is the latest vegan craze...? The buddha bowl!
This abundant concoction is aptly named due to its likeness to buddha’s belly. The premise of the buddha bowl is to eat as many plant-based nutrient dense foods as possible. Every buddha bowl is unique, colorful and customizable to your taste preferences. Get creative & follow these simple tips to create your own!
1. Create a complete protein meal.
All the amino acids we need are in plants. The three basic food groups include, beans/ pulses, grains and nuts/seeds. To obtain complete protein from one meal, you need to eat two of the three groups together. This will help you create a meal that is balanced and helps your body create amino acids for proper function in the body. For example: quinoa (grain) and black beans (beans and pulses)
2. Incorporate essential buddha bowl ingredients.
PLANT-BASED PROTEIN (add at least one of these)
- Black beans
WHOLE GRAINS (add at least one of these)
- Brown rice
- Wild rice
VEGETABLES (add as many as you like)
- Serve veggies any way you like– grilled, steamed, sauteed or raw.
NUTS/SEEDS/DRESSING (add one or all three)
- Raw nuts: slivered almonds, walnuts or cashews
- Seeds: sunflower seeds or pepitas
- Homemade avocado lemon vinaigrette dressing
- Homemade hummus
3. serve, toss & enjoy!
Be inspired, there is no right or wrong way to make a delicious and flavorful buddha bowl.